- No I.D. Is The New Executive Vice President Of Def Jam RecordingsApr 1, 2014 at 02:20pmMore positive news, folks. Veteran Chicago producer and A&R Dion Wilson, AKA No I.D., has been named the new executive vice president of Def Jam Recordings. Formerly the company's executive vice president of A&R, he'll also be maintaining this position alongside Kyambo "Hip-Hop" Joshua. This comes shortly after Def Jam's departure from Island Def Jam Motown. The company is now being run by Steve Bartels autonomously.
- It's Yo Birthday: Common's Top 21 TracksMar 13, 2014 at 01:05pmToday, Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr, known to us as Common, turns 42 years old. He is one of the finest talents to come of out of the state of Chicago, having produced 29 singles and 9 studio albums across a career that spans the twenty-two years.
- Samples Of The Week: January 30Jan 30, 2014 at 12:33pmWhen hip-hop began, samples were all that DJs and producers had to construct instrumental tracks with. They'd dig through crates of vinyl trying to find isolated drum breaks, melodies or vocals that they could repurpose for use in hip-hop music. Today, sampling has become less common, but a choice sample can still push a track from lukewarm to hot faster than you can say "uh huh honey."
- Common Announces New Album With No I.D. "Nobody's Smiling"Jan 6, 2014 at 05:59pmCommon's been pretty absent from hip-hop in 2013, however with 2014 in full swing it looks like we may get new material from the G.O.O.D. rapper. The actor recently spoke to Revolt TV about his upcoming joint effort with No I.D. called Nobody's Smiling, which was originally going to be an EP but has turned into a proper full-length effort. As Com explains in the interview, the album's title is a reflection on Chicago's mounting violence, and call to action to incite change.
- Common Details Upcoming Projects & Vince Staples CollaborationSep 8, 2013 at 06:23pmCommon gave us some details on his upcoming mixtape (his very first) back in January, but otherwise we haven't heard much about the projects he's promised this year. The legendary emcee has now given us a little more information on his ambitious plans for the near future.
- Drake Says He Won His Beef With CommonAug 13, 2013 at 01:54pmLast year, Drake and Common had a highly publicized beef on record. Starting with Common's "Sweet," garnering a response from Drizzy on "Stay Schemin'," and ending with Common addressing Drake by name on his own remix of the track.
- SummerSet Festival Ticket GiveawayJul 22, 2013 at 02:11pmHotNewHipHop is giving away six pairs of tickets for SummerSet 2013, taking place August 9-11. This year's lineup includes Big Boi, Common, and many more. Contest Rules:
- Common Speaks On Kanye West & Kim K's PregnancyFeb 13, 2013 at 11:01amCommon has been so busy working and doing promo for his "LUV" film (which he not only acts in but helped produce), that it seems he hasn't had time to speak to his friend and G.O.O.D. Music boss, Kanye West, about his child-to-be with Kim Kardashian.
- 140 Bars Or Less: July 20 to August 01Aug 2, 2012 at 05:17pmDissecting the funniest, most entertaining, and outrageous tweets from some of the biggest names in rap who are on Twitter. Twitter is intriguing to fans because it offers an un-buffered forum into the minds of some of your favorite artists. The material is often raw and unfiltered, and lucky for us, most of these guys have no filter.