Ashanti remains one of the most celebrated contemporary R&B singer/songwriters out. Since releasing her self-titled, Platinum-certified debut in 2002, she's released four studio albums and three compilations, having collaborated with the likes of Akon, R. Kelly, Nelly, Cadillac Tah, Lloyd, Scarface, Crooked I, Nas, Keyshia Cole, The Game, Jim Jones, T.I., Jagged edge, Irv Gotti, Black Child, Charli Baltimore, and many more throughout her prolific career. Most recently, she was spotted in the studio with the freshly liberated Ja Rule and shot a visual for her 2013 single "I Got It", which features Rick Ross. She's currently working on her latest studio album, titled Braveheart, which is slated to drop in 2014. Stay tuned for updates. (Of yeah, she also counts dancing, producing and acting among her many talents, and she's an active philanthropist.)
- She's named after Ghana's Ashanti Empire.
- Ashanti studied dance at the Bernice Johnson Cultural Arts Center.
- Her grandfather (James Douglas) was a civil rights activist affiliated with Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Ashanti has appeared in the films Malcolm X, Who's The Man?, Polly and Bride & Prejudice.
- In her youth, she danced with the Senior Pro Ensemble at the Apollo Theater, Avery Fisher Hall, the Brooklyn Academy Of Music, the Black Spectrum Theater and Carnegie Hall.
- Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)2003
- Can't Stop2002
- Dreams / Voodoo2003
- The Declaration2008
- Rain On Me2003
- Chapter II2003
- Collectables By Ashanti2005
- Only U / Turn It Up2004
- Concrete Rose2004